Story: The Monkey and the Crocodile

Author's Note: I took the story, The Monkey and the Crocodile, and gave it an alternative ending.

On the river, there was a great tree. Within the tree, lived a monkey. Under the tree, was the river. The river is where the crocodiles live. The crocodiles have been watching the monkeys for a long time. Finally, a crocodile wanted a monkey for himself. One of the crocodiles turned to his son and told him to capture a monkey for him. "Son, get me a monkey's heart for me to feast on," said the father. The son tries to think of ideas on how to get the monkey to come to the river. 

The son comes up with an idea that just might work. He will tell the monkey about this island that is just across the river. This island was full of ripe fruit that the monkey would love. Surely, the monkey will believe this lie. The monkey was fascinated when he heard this. The monkey questioned how he would get across if he could not swim. The son ensured him that he would carry him safely across on his back. The monkey agrees and jumps on to the son's back. 

The two travel across the river. It was calm and a smooth ride, for a while. The monkey was greedy for the fruit that would be on the island. The monkey complimented the son on the ride and the son then dove underwater. The monkey did not like that. "Why would you do that?!" exclaimed the monkey. The son responded and explained that he was going to kill the monkey. "I am going to kill you by keeping you underwater, then I will deliver you to my father who wants to feast on your heart," the son explained. The monkey was shocked and scared. Though, the monkey was quick on his feet. "If only you would have told me that you wanted my heart if you did I could have brought it with me on our trip," the monkey stated, "You do not need to kill me for my heart." The son was confused but skeptical. He could not tell if that monkey was lying or telling the truth. The son decided to play along with the monkey. "Oh no! I will take you back so you can get your heart." The son knew he had to act as if he did not know what a heart was. The two finally near the island and the monkey begins to leap off the son's back. While the monkey is jumping, the son jumps up out of the water as well and chomps onto the monkey's tail, and flings him into the water. The monkey is scared and is trying hard to getaway. But the monkey cannot swim and is terrified of the water. The monkey drowns. The son takes the monkey's body back to his father. 

"I am proud of you son. You obeyed my orders. Thank you," stated the father. The son was joyful because his father was proud of him. The rest of the day, the crocodile swam in circles near the tree looking for the next monkey to trick. 


Bibliography: http://www.gatewaytotheclassics.com/browse/display.php?author=babbitt&book=jataka&story=monkey


 "Crocodile" by Radek Vitoul is licensed under CC BY 2.0

Comments

  1. Hi Megan! I loved the direction that you took this . When I read the author's not I wondered if this was going to be the direction you took your story and I am glad you did. It is a bit of a bittersweet ending as you feel for the monkey, but glad that the son made his father proud. One thing I would like to note is that wouldn't the next monkey victim be skeptical after the last incident or was no one else around?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Megan, I read the Crocodile and the Monkey and enjoyed it. One suggestion that I have is including a short summary of the original story and how you changed it within your author’s not. This just shows the reader how you made the story your own. I look forward to reading more of your stories!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts