Growth Mindset

I have not heard of Carol Dweck or the growth mindset prior to this assignment. I am in college to learn and challenge myself. I think it is important to continue to challenge yourself so you can grow. If there is no challenge and no push, I won't learn anything. In my school work, I do get discouraged and frustrated, but I try to better myself so I can continue to grow and learn. It is important to me to challenge myself so that I become the best possible version of myself. I can't improve if there is never a challenge. I like to challenge myself in work environments. I want to be the best worker I possibly can, so I make sure to learn and push myself in those environments. When I was an athlete in high school, I knew I had to challenge myself to improve. For example, during track season, even If I thought my legs would give out, I made sure to keep going just a little bit longer. Ultimately, that made me a stronger athlete. At OU, I've found it challenging for me to really focus on topics that I'm not interested in. It was hard to stay motivated in classes where I was not passionate about the material. I'm interested in learning more about the growth mindset this semester. This semester, I want to do the absolute best I can. I want to hold myself accountable for my work and challenge myself to be the best student I can be. I'm excited about this class. This is all new material and I find the topic interesting. I'm not worried about any of my classes this semester. In the article, "The 'Mindset' Mindset", Alfie Kohn brings up a good point that in some cases it is not what the students and being taught or how they are being taught, it is the student's attitude in general. One point I found interesting was that Kohn argued that praising kids for their effort rather than their ability is not the best idea because "it can communicate that they're really not very capable and therefore unlikely to succeed at future tasks". 









Comments

Popular Posts